January 9, 2012
Pasta and Zucchini Salad
Page 254, Ottolenghi
Ottolenghi wins again with this dish that is far less a salad, and far more a fabulous green-tasting and looking bowl of pasta. Exactly what we were looking for tonight. Hearty, healthy, and tasting like spring in a bowl, much like our 50 degree weather AGAIN today (with no complaints from me on any count). An easy worknight dinner that came together in the same amount of time that B and I needed to process our work days as we chopped and zested, and the next thing you knew, it was time to eat! We used some multi-grain penne instead of the elusive strozzapretti and doubled the amount of edamame, mainly beacuse we just love it. A nice Monday night dinner followed by some competitive scrabble always hits the spot. Feeling grateful and ready for the rest of the week, which brings plans with a lovely bunch of friends tomorrow and the kiddo later this week.
Pasta and Fried Zucchini Salad
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (I used WAY less – maybe 2 Tbsp)
- 3 medium zucchini, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1/2 T. red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup edamame
- 2 cups basil, coarsely shredded
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves (still from our garden, believe it or not!)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 9 oz. strozzapreti or penne pasta
- grated zest of one lemon
- 1 1/2 T. small capers
- 7 oz. fresh mozzarella, torn into chunks
- Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain & rinse with cold water.
- Fry the zucchini in batches in the vegetable oil over medium heat until brown on each side (about 3 minutes per side). Remove to a paper towel to drain and then mix with the vinegar.
- Blanch the edamame for 3 minutes in boiling water. Drain and rinse with cold water. ( I combined this with step one)
- Combine half the basil, all of the parsley and the olive oil in a food processor, adding salt and pepper to taste. Process until smooth. Make sure it is salty enough.
- Combine the pasta, zucchini with vinegar, edamame, basil sauce, lemon zest, capers and mozzarella. Stir in the remaining basil and serve.